South Africa has three new coffee champions for 2020 that will be competing at Worlds later this year, as decided at Hostex (3 March 2020).
Two time National barista champion (2017 & 2018) Winston Thomas from Cape Town (Winston Douglas Coffee) clinched the 2020 barista title, returning to competition after a short break. In the end beating a very dominant Stevo Kühn (Urban Brew Coffee) from Bloemfontein who was named runner up.
The Latte Art competition saw a new champion in Jeff Stopforth from KZN (Beaver Creek Coffee) being crowned, after beating two time National champion (2018 & 2019) Christopher Abrahams (Ciro Full Service Beverage Co.) and 2019’s KZN champion, Ndumiso Ngcobo (Fabrica Coffee) in the finals on 3 March.
The Cup Tasters competition also offered plenty of highlights when Wency Masawi (Tanaka Coffee / African Roots Coffee) beat the experienced Nicodemus Nabakwe (Sevenoaks Trading) in the final.
Barista champion, Winston Thomas will be representing South Africa for a third time at the World Barista Championship, at the Melbourne International Coffee Expo in Australia.
New Cup Tasters champion Wency Masawi and Latte Art champion, Jeff Stopforth will compete at the World Cup Tasters and Latte Art Championships at World of Coffee in Warsaw, Poland.
⭐️ Best Signature Drink & Milk Based Beverage: Winston Thomas – Winston Douglas Coffee
⭐️ Best Espresso and Technical: Stevo Kühn – Urban Brew Coffee
⭐️ Best Overall Impression: Fikile Khuzwayo – MRP Foundation
BARISTA TOP 6
1. Winston Thomas – Winston Douglas Coffee
2. Stevo Kühn – Urban Brew Coffee
3. John Evans – TriBeCa Coffee
4. Neil Gouws – Origin Coffee Roasting
5. Samantha Naidoo – TriBeCa Coffee
6. Bruce Manning – Brustar Coffee
LATTE ART TOP 3
1. Jeff Stopforth – Beaver Creek Coffee
2. Christopher Abrahams – Ciro Full Service Beverage Co.
3. Ndumiso Ngcobo – Fabrica Coffee
LATTE ART TOP 4 (SEMI FINAL ROUND)
1. Wency Masawi – Tanaka Coffee / African Roots Coffee
2. Thabang Maluleka – Ciro Full Service Beverage Co.
3. Nicodemus Nabakwe – Sevenoaks Trading
4. Maryke Schoonwinkel – Bruder Coffee Roastery
SCASA would like to thank all its sponsors, partners, members, the administrative staff, judges, baristas and volunteers who made this event such an unforgettable success. Thank you for investing into the future of our industry and for igniting a united passion for coffee.